Help Support The Blog by Clicking Through to Amazon.com

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

DAY SEVEN: Acayucan, Veracruz to Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas

Getting close!  The border with Guatemala is at the bottom right corner
When I was parking at last night's hotel, one of the bellhops asked me to park my car closer to one of the two cars there.  I did so and he asked me to move it even closer.  I was confused as to why and when I went out to the courtyard/parking area at four-thirty in the morning to get a DVD from Opie, he was boxed in about four deep!

I didn't need to leave until late morning as my check-in time in TG wasn't until three.  By the time I left I had a clear path.

Once I dealt with some congestion getting out of town, I filled up on gas as well as air for the tires.  We drove straight to our destination with no other stops.  We got to see some gorgeous scenery, definitely the best of the trip so far.

Photographic Proof of Chucho in the Tropics

The road was less populated than the one from Puebla and I had fun accessing my Salvadorean passing on a double yellow genes.  On a two-lane road (one in each direction), slower cars almost always ride half in the shoulder so as to encourage faster cars to pass.  Oncoming cars, when they see cars wanting to pass, go into their shoulder a bit.  This creates a third, but unofficial, passing lane.

When researching hotels this morning, I wanted to make a change so I wouldn't have to backtrack tomorrow but apparently I'd reserved a hotel room that would have charged me to cancel.

Once we got here, I entered the lobby sans Chucho and paid up.  I got my key card, tv remote, and AC remote then went to Opie to fetch Chucho.  I walked in as though everything was fine and heard an audible gasp from the woman behind the counter.  I ignored it and while waiting at the elevator she asked me if booking.com (the portal through which I'd reserved) said pets were allowed.  I told her I wouldn't be here if they didn't.  She said they only let small dogs in. I told her he's almost twelve and all he does is sleep and eat; he won't be an issue.  She told me I had to pay 150 pesos, a bit less than $10 and I said ok.  She said I could pay later though, which I'm hoping means don't worry about it.

I got our stuff for the night into the room, then left Chucho in the parking area so I could go to the grocery store to get him more dog food.  It was a half-block walk so I figured I'd do it while it was convenient.  The supermarket is the biggest I've ever been in with three stories.  Half the cashiers were dressed up in costumes for tonight's festivities.

1 comment: