Help Support The Blog by Clicking Through to Amazon.com

Sunday, August 12, 2012

8.9.12 Inconsistency Reigns Supreme at North Wisconsin

Apparently, word had gotten out about the previous day's session.  This is more common than you might think.  People who were out on a day like the previous day can't help but to tell their buddies (usually while exaggerating) about how hard they blew it by not paddling out. 

As a result, the previous day's sandbar was packed.  It didn't look as good as when I'd surfed it.  I opted to turn left at the bottom of the ramp at Wisconsin Street.

My first wave was an insta-barrel.  I'm still working on my half-descent arm stall technique and the results reflected that.  I got into the barrel and wasn't able to contort myself into its restrictive confines.  I landed on my back.

I caught another left that was borderline.  I thought I might have caught it too late.  I popped up and made the drop, but the wave had passed me by already.

The last memorable wave involved a quick barreling left that I was going to switch crab grab, but I got my wires crossed and ended up switch pig-dogging.  I got covered up, but pulled through the back.  I don't think I would've made it if it had been a right.

The rest of the session involved my paddling for, and deciding to not go on, a half dozen waves.  The wind gusted slightly, from zero to perhaps two knots, and that was enough of an excuse for me to call it a session.


No comments:

Post a Comment