Help Support The Blog by Clicking Through to Amazon.com

Friday, May 25, 2018

5.25.18 Paying a Shortened Tribute at Mostly Playa Idaho

The swell was on the way down and I knew the beachbreak would be marginal.  Another dip in the swell and it will be borderline unsurfable.

There was a pack on every peak and from what I could tell after paddling out and perching we were dealing with quite the foreign contingent.  I heard Portuguese and French being bandied about.

I missed out on a couple of waves by being too inside of them, as is tradition.  Within five minutes though, I caught a good-looking right.  I paddled for it and I heard yelling in some tongue I couldn't decipher.  I looked to make sure there was no one outside of me, then made quick eye contact with the bellower.  His eyes were ablaze and I had no idea what he was saying but I went.  I pumped down and appreciated the wave's contour.  I briefly thought about pulling in but the section out front was out for blood.  I pulled through and out the back.

While paddling back out I noticed how hard I was drifting south after having caught that right.

I caught a quick left.  It was really foamy.  As I did a quick direction change to possibly snap-stall my fins chattered and I lost my momentum.  The thing bared its teeth and threw over.  I was bummed, foamy barrels darken the tunnel even further for the spelunker but I'd missed out because of a weighting mistake in my enthusiasm to do something.

I paddled back out and got smacked around a bit underwater and sat.  I surprisingly heard a female voice call for me.  I whirled around and saw my girls on the sand with my eldest (Raquel) waving me in.  As I paddled in I was lucky enough to catch an insider.  I stood up on it so Lucia could see me riding a wave and maybe get excited to want to try.

I asked immediately, "Where's Chucho?", figuring in his absence he had been maimed or felled.  Raquel said in the car, and that Solani's fingers had been scrunched in a door at our condo.  So in I went and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment