Help Support The Blog by Clicking Through to Amazon.com

Saturday, July 14, 2012

7.13.12 TINY Tyson Street

The first dunk in the ocean upon returning from the tropics is always nasty.  I arrived at Oside Pier at seven in the morning and saw a sweet 2' set break with no one on it.  Missed-It-Mike claimed Harbor would be good so I gave it a check.  It revealed nearly two dozen heads in the water, mostly congregated around the south jetty.  In the few minutes I checked it, nary a wave was ridden.  OVER IT!

I doubled back to Oside Pier and parked in the free lot.  I paddled out at Tyson Street after a healthy jog.  I wasn't seeing much in terms of waves, but I did notice an increase in the head count.

On my first wave, I caught it early and angled almost from the beginning.  I pumped and got a bit ahead of myself.  I ended up flamingoing, then endo'ing shortly thereafter.

My second wave was a right and I caught it a bit late.  I descended and, still used to my heftier board in El Salvador, bottom-turned REALLY hard.  Unfortunately, by the time I got to the lip, the whackable spot (at least for my ability level) had passed me by.

I noticed, in between waves, that my teeth were chattering.  The water had dipped down to 63 in my absence, a couple of degrees away from 4/3 territory.

I had to fight to catch my third wave.  I was successful in doing so, but the extra time allowed the wave extra time to section me off.  I bottom turned right into the section and bailed out the back.

On my last wave, I was on such a small and abrupt wave that I couldn't get to my feet in time.  The wave shut down in both directions and I ended up going straight on one knee.  Not my proudest moment, but at least I didn't miss out on a decent wave.


I bailed, happy to re-lose my cold water virginity.

No comments:

Post a Comment